Friday, June 13, 2014

Purr-fection?

Paws that go tippy-toe treading,
creating never a sound.
will pounce on unwary birds as they peck
at some tidbit on the ground.

Fur or feathers go flying
and Death descends in a trice,
spurred on by pin-point claws and teeth
that pose equal threat to mice.

For Cat is Lord of the Manor
he stalks wherever he will,
till he thinks it's time to sleep in a heap
on a sunny windowsill

or lap of a well trained human
who strokes his glistening fur
and is captivated for ever
by his mesmerizing purr.

Thanks to Fireblossom's Friday at IGWRT's, we have been introduced to the artwork of Guido Vedovato to give us inspiration. Click his name to learn more.

17 comments:

  1. Beautiful dedication to all the cats:) and cat lovers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also love his cat paintings, and your story has a playful element which suits the image perfectly.

    Just a word of caution: the artist's work is under strict copyright, so it may be better to remove the picture and provide a link to his website instead.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't it sad when an artist won't share art for art's sake?!

      Delete
  3. Ah, I love this.........a happy kitty!

    ReplyDelete
  4. OH! I wish I wrote this! I'm keeping it in a folder of poems I would prefer not to live without!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love well trained human..by cat! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. You captured the presence purrrrfectly!

    ReplyDelete
  7. From a lover of kitties ... This is delightful!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love this, Jinksy. Although I adore my dog (who also purrs) your poem makes me miss having a cat. Obviously you understand the cat-mind very well ("lap of a well-trained human").
    Cheers,
    K

    ReplyDelete
  9. This speaker truly understand the soul of the royal felines, and their "mesmerizing purr."

    ReplyDelete
  10. Unfortunately for my birds, there are four or five always prowling round here. Sometimes the garden gets feathers scattered when there's been a kill. Then that makes me feel guilty for feeding them.
    I have had cats in the past so I know how they can be!
    Good poem.
    Maggie x

    Nuts in May

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh, dear! Blogpals - you are making me feel guilty! I really don't like cats - or dogs- but I do enjoy crating a fun rhyme for those who do. LOL ♥

    ReplyDelete
  12. And now I'm sending a comment to myself, to check how Blogger deals with it..

    ReplyDelete