Wednesday, May 8, 2013

Prelude

The lifeblood of the classroom passed into my veins, that Easter Term in 1946. Chalk-dust, copybooks, inkwells, had scents which linked the chain of school days about my neck. They hung heavy, at the start. So much was new, as home became secondary and Teacher was the centre of the universe to the clusters of pupil-planets in orbit about her each day.

A gold star sat on a turned page when lessons went well… until knowing how, why, what, became an ongoing addiction… Where might this lead, if acquiring knowledge, passing exams, winning scholarships, meant  finishing the race to adulthood ahead of the crowd?

Written for IGWRT's, and it so happens a holiday snap of my great-niece and great-nephew fits the bill - sort of!

15 comments:

  1. love this observation, it feels very true:
    "A gold star sat on a turned page when lessons went well."

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have created that sense of time and place so well.
    'Teacher was the centre of the universe to the myriad pupil-planets in orbit about her each day..'

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well done! I love that same line that Kerry quotes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Some say they were the days?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those days, home was secondary as the school and teacher was the center of attention ~ Good one Jinksy ~

    ReplyDelete
  6. Seems appropriate as we celebrate Teacher Appreciation Week in the States. Blogger doesn't like my open id, so I'm borrowing Millie's. Mine is here. http://razzamadazzle.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Teacher Appreciation Week? England could do well to think about having one here- teachers get a raw deal most of the time...

      Delete
  7. This is such the perfect description of school for me. Teachers were the center we orbited around. I'm in.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ah, a prelude to a lifetime of scholarship?
    K

    ReplyDelete
  9. The gold stars were my sense of self worth and teachers were my nurturers. I too love the phrase quoted by Kerry and others. You've definitely set the tone for this road to adulthood.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This brings back memories of teachers I had growing up. Wonderful prelude to the question, "does learning ever end?"

    ReplyDelete
  11. Jinksy, excellent prelude. The line that stood out for me was, "scents which linked the chain of school days about my neck," and the list of things that held the essence. For me, it will always be chalk. Like a clarion call to learning... (I'm showing my age. They all use whiteboards and LCD projectors now!) Amy

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love the photo and you poem!
    I remember some of the teachers I loved and some I feared.
    Love this one
    :D

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your prelude poem makes me want more ... much more.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ah, well, they ere the days, were they not? You have magicked them up wonderfully well.

    ReplyDelete