Thursday, April 11, 2013

Lilac and Lavender

Early Lilac Blooms by Kim Nelson


Poem In Three Parts

Bouquet of flowers
enfolds me in soft embrace.
A meditation.

          ***

I breathe in scents of lilac and lavender,
light perfumes drifting in violet haze.

But dreams cluster round like fragile old ladies,
their shadow-ghost beings gentle relics of time,

while memories, frail as paper-thin tissue,
hover and whisper through the length of my days.

          ***

Maiden Aunt's
lavender and lace
disguises
a life lived
in quiet expectation,
minus surprises.

Her bouquet
speaks flower language
with no words.
Its beauty
engulfs both eyes and senses
in admiration.


Linked to Poets United, with thanks to Kim.

15 April 2013 I have found later edits of two of these, like so:-

Casualty of War

Her token
lavender and lace
disguises
a life lived
in quiet contemplation
of a secret admirer.

His bouquets
once used the language
of flowers
to show her,
by their bashful eloquence,
his love and admiration.

But the war
stole his life from him
and left her
with nothing
but memories, as fragile

and elusive as perfume...



Haiku
The perfumed posy
enfolds us in its embrace.
A meditation.

4 comments:

  1. My heart swelled to know that these beautiful verses (that haiku is exceptional) grew from the photo of my sweet lilac tree. You honor me, Jinksy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. while memories, frail as paper-thin tissue,
    hover and whisper through the length of my days.

    Stupendous, Jinksy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great flowing words from a friend,
    My hearty thoughts to you I send.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like the beauty of the flower language ~ Beautiful words ~

    ReplyDelete